Sunday 26 September 2010

cherry cake

Apparently the goddess's modem is broken, and that's why she hasn't been replying to my emails. My fixer said I should just pop in and have a chat with her, but I think I might be better off just waiting for her modem to be fixed. Shecan't shrug in an email, or glance across with a 'whatever, minger' face. Oh, I don't know, maybe I'll drop by tomorrow morning when the kids are at school.
I have just tried to be a proper mother by doing homework with the Twins. They have to cook a dish from their own country, describe it on paper and bring in a sample to school tomorrow (quite ambitious given that neither of them can actually write). I have been planning to cook cherry cake with them ever since I found the only place in Kathmandu that sells glace cherries (not sure why I found this so thrilling - I don't even like glace cherries. And they don't really look or taste very much like real glace cherries, if I'm honest - probably made from plastic, cow dung and red food colouring). The cake recipe also called for ground almonds too, and you can't buy them anywhere. I did, however, find some whole almonds, and ground them myself. Are you impressed to my commitment to homework yet? I am!
Son joined in with the cake making, so it was somewhat chaotic. We tipped the mixture into the cake tin, only to realise that we had forgotten the sugar, so I had to scrape it all out, add the sugar, and shove it back in again.
The final product was really quite underwhelming, given the amount of effort that went in.
Twins had a little sheet to describe it on.
Twin 1 said: It looks like a shoe. It feels squidgy.
Twin 2 said: It sounds like the wind. It tastes of flowers.
Which I think says more about their respective personalities than our national cuisine.
TTFN x

2 comments:

allijulivert said...

I just love your girls' descriptive skills.
I really want to eat that cake. I think you should send me a slice ;)

Amy Waif said...

I've tried it, and believe me, you really don't want some!