Thursday 5 May 2011

desperate coronation street

Coronation Street has morphed into Desperate Housewives, which means that the Coronation Street episodes on the welfare discs are unwatched. Or at least they were. Last week I caught Hubby secretly watching the Street. He 'fessed up to it, so now we have Coronation Street night at home. It's actually quite nice to watch Corrie with someone who also likes to make horse noises when Gail comes on screen, or make comments about Dev's hair, or Dierdre's wattle - or try to predict the plot. I think soaps are made for shouting at, don't you? The only problem with doing Corrie with Hubby is that he doesn't like drinking at home, so rather than a nice chilled sauvignon, I'm quaffing diet ginger beer, but hey ho.

I'm almost over the whole not-trekking thing now. At least being here forced me to finish chapter eight, and start chapter nine, which has got to be a good thing as I have less than two months to write five chapters (can I do it? Only if I give up Coronation Street and Desperate Housewives and work in the evenings...hmmm...).

Went to Son's termly topic talk this week (missed the Twins' though, as it was on Monday and I was still sobbing into my pillow at that point). I'm always flabbergasted by the things they learn in primary these days. I remember doing mostly neat handwriting and things with papier mache at that age, whereas Son will be learning about how to create an electric circuit, how force is measured in Newtons, and having a debate between explorers and native peoples about the pros and cons of colonisation. Whatever happened to colouring in and times tables, eh?

Twin 2 has learnt to swim! Sudeep the swimming teacher has worked his magic on her. I'm not sure what stroke she does: style-wise, she looks a bit like a spider trying to escape the plughole; however she's stopped sinking, and remembers to breathe out underwater, and in when she pops up for air (well, sometimes she gets it the other way round, but luckily there is Sudeep, and the lifeguard on hand - and the pool is less than twenty metres from the med centre). I'm not sure how unusual it is for a child with physical disabilities like hers to learn to swim, but I'm pretty blooming proud of her, and I think Sudeep is too (she has also worked her magic on him, and he goes a bit misty eyed around her - I even caught him giving her a sneaky peck on the cheek when she nearly managed a width today).

And tomorrow is Friday - where has the week gone? I must write faster, or the summer hols will be here before I know it and my poor heroine will still not have had closure on her multiple issues...at least she's found out about her boyfriend and her father and is back in the UK and now only has to resolve things with her grandmother, her ex, her father - oh and there's the whole Afghan thing, too - can she possibly sort all that lot out in forty thousand words or less?

Right, ten to ten - time for bed xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so miss corrie.... i believe you should give me a corrie synopsis once in a while! Great that hubby is watching it too ;)