Monday 2 May 2011

bummer

Hello, out there. I'm still here. No, I'm not trekking in Langtang. And it's not because of the pesky 'pre-monsoon' rains, or the scary leeches, no. I had prepared for those: I had waterproof trousers, gaiters, waterproof coat, insect repellent with Deet in it, and an umbrella (to protect against the sleepy leeches that fall out of the trees in the jungly bits). I also had five bags of cranberry and chocolate trail mix (one for each day), and  - optimistically, perhaps - some factor 50 sweatproof suntan lotion. Oh, yes, and I had increased my insurance cover to cover me for trekking over four thousand metres (which I hadn't done for the last trek - good job I didn't have an accident on the way up to Annapurna Base Camp...).
What happened was that Twin 2 was up all last night with fever and a cough and Hubby had diarrhoea (I think I may finally have learnt to spell this - has only taken three years in Nepal to crack it) and we had a very long conversation at five thirty this morning about the pros and cons of me leaving him with a sick child, a slightly dodgy bottom and being staff duty officer for BGN this week. So in the end I didn't go on the transport at six.
I cried, Twin 2 and Hubby got rapidly better, and Hubby bought me some nice jewellery (can never work out how to spell this one though) this afternoon to try to cheer me up.
Boo (I don't mean boo about the nice pendant, I mean hurrah - but boo about missing a week with my trek-sisters).
No escape from finishing chapter eight now, I suppose.
Oh, well, maybe not right now...I'm off to bed to read Cloud Atlas.
Goodnight x

No comments: