Sunday 22 May 2011

kalashnikov surprise for pudding

I just couldn't do the whole mackerel and Ryevita thing this weekend. I mean, hey, it's the weekend, right? Last night, being Saturday night, I treated myself to two glasses of wine and a whole bag of chocolate coated strawberries, whilst watching Coronation Street (alone). I was only alone because Hubby was tired and decided to go to bed early, but it's a taste of things to come, I fear. There won't be any nights out in Dwarika's when we're all back in the UK and he's out in Afghanistan...
A friend came round with her kids today. We talked about Hubby's imminent tour of duty, and his previous tours. She was berating Hubby for not sampling the local cuisine when out in the middle east. She was appalled that our troops just eat British food, cooked by British cooks, and thinks all our boys should be out there tasting a bit of goat curry. We tried to point out that if you booked yourself into a local cafe for a meal in Helmand, you'd probably get the dessert du jour  - kalashnikov surprise - but she wasn't convinced. Perhaps things are different if you work in aid or development, but I think if you're in army uniform in a foreign country, you're fairly likely to get shot at at some point, whether you've tipped the waiter or not.
It's been a quiet weekend; there was a bandh today, so we couldn't go anywhere except the swimming pool. There is another bandh tomorrow, but they are letting blue-plate vehicles through, which means the school bus will be running, hurrah, so I can get on with the book.
My protagonist is becoming a little too self-pitying (who can blame her after all the bad luck she's had?), so I need to rewrite a couple of scenes to turn her back into the feisty go-getter that she should be. I think I was in a rather black mood at the back end of last week, and poured all my misery out through her. Well, it's all going to change, now. She's going to get tough and competent and win through in the end, God bless her!
Right, I should go, or I will be in a spectacularly bad mood at six am tomorrow.
Night x

No comments: