Wednesday 22 June 2011

dragon's legs

Hello, sorry it's been a while. I have been writing the book, honest (although I have also spent a little time on Facebook). It's all coming together now - of the six things my heroine has to sort out, she's really only got one left to tackle (well, perhaps two).
I couldn't write much this afternoon as I had to take Twin 1 to her private tennis lesson, whilst Twin 2 had a manicure and pedicure at the beauty salon next door to the tennis court (yes, really). I have made it quite clear to the pair of them that our lives will change radically when we get back to the UK and there'll be no more private tennis lessons or pedicures for anyone. We'll all just have to be grateful for a once-a-week splurge on a take away whilst watching celebrity-singing-on-ice-in-the-jungle (or perhaps even that classic bit of reality TV from a few years ago, "Help, my dog is as fat as me!" - really hope that programme is repeated).
Did I mention that we've got a house? Hurrah, we have a house, and we'll only be homeless for five weeks until we can actually move into it. Have just bought a massive family tent on Amazon and got it shipped to my parents, so at least we'll have somewhere to sleep (good job too, as family members are getting ever more reluctant to open their doors to us).
Tomorrow evening is the school's carnival, and the culmination of creative arts week. So we have to go out to a cafe/art space and participate. The twins have the important job of being dragon's legs (?), so must be supportive, I guess (oh, that's actually a pun - not a very good one though, so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it). As part of creative arts week, the music teacher has produced a CD of the kids singing. The proceeds from the CD go to charity, so you can't exactly refuse to buy a copy, especially when (in my case) you have three kids nagging you to fork out. So we are now proud owners of "I've got a song to sing" by the kids of the British School.  And how lovely it is to hear the nursery class's rendition of 'The wheels on the bus' at full volume. Or year 4's version of 'Give me one moment in time' (while I'm racing with destiny - but pitched a bit too high so nobody can quite reach the notes in 'destiny'). I can't even bring myself to post a copy to the UK to inflict on the grandparents. It would just be cruel. Thanks for that, Miss H.
Talking of dragon's legs. I wore shorts to the gym this morning. Yes, you can hear gasps of people claiming how culturally inappropriate it is to show your legs in Nepal. But I've seen Nepali women wearing shorts down our way (mind you, they might be women of ill-repute), so it can't be that culturally inappropriate. I think maybe the gasps of horror are less to do with the cultural aspect and more to do with exposing the good people of Patan to a double-whammy of varicose veins and cellulite. But I can't bring myself to care. I may have dragon's legs these days, but it's too blooming hot to be all coy in leggings.
Right, well then, it's gone ten (obviously Hubby has already been asleep about an hour) and I'm about to run out of charge so nightie night xx

No comments: