Thursday 13 September 2012

Hello, I tell you what, this work thing isn't as great as it's made out to be. I'm pooped. I just did my first class today, with a group of highly educated middle eastern parents. Most, if not all, have spouses doing postgrad/research work at the university. In once sense this is great, because they're all bright and motivated. In another sense, this is scary, because they are all so keen that they don't even want a tea break and want me to do an hour and three quarters lesson without so much as a cuppa and  a bourbon biscuit to give myself a breather. Phew. I think I shall be relying quite heavily on listening comprehension exercises on the CD, just to give myself a sit down. The lessons take place in a Sure Start centre. I don't know if you know anything about Sure Start? I think the idea behind them is to give support to parents of young children in deprived areas, which is great. However....there is a whiff of nanny state about it all. For example: I am not supposed to allow the mums and dads in my group to give unhealthy snacks to their children. I was told that if they bring out a packet of crisps, for instance, I'm to ask them not to let their children eat them until they are out of the building (!). This morning I happened to mention something about biscuits and there was a collective gasp from the admin staff. As it happened, I'd forgotten to bring them, so I didn't have to sneak digestives to the students under the table (and even if I had they wouldn't have been able to dunk them into their tea because - guess what - no hot drinks allowed anywhere except the kitchen). I know we should all be encouraging healthy eating, but pul-ease (also when I went into the staff room I noticed a packet of hula hoops and a packet of quavers on the table there, so someone is smuggling in contraband). Right then, I'm off to mop the kitchen floor and then hurl myself into bed and dream about prepositions of place and illegal choc chip cookies. Night x

1 comment:

Kanchana said...

I still remember your/our first day at Sure Start as well.