Monday 14 March 2011

...and breathe...

Suddenly at school I really lost my temper. Not with my wonderful kids, of course, but with another mum. I even swore (I think I said 'I'm fed up with being f***ing unpaid childcare for people' - hope I don't get banned from the playground for bad language and general chaviness). This is what happened: I agreed to take a couple of the Twins' friends home from school and get them into their party dresses and drop them all off at a schoolfriend's birthday party. This plan was fine, as the girls are friends of the twins and their mums are always doing me favours, too, so it's all part of the general give and take of being a playground mum.
Then as I got to school (late, because I noticed armed police on the way and phoned Hubby to check there wasn't about to be a riot on the school run route), I got a text from another mum asking me to also pick up her daughter and take her to the party too. Now, this other girl is not a special friend of the Twins, and her mother has never done me any favours either. Moreover, for the past three years I have acted as a bus monitor to take kids to her daughter's birthday party when she has called me at the last minute to say she won't be on the bus with all the children and could I possibly make sure they all arrive safely at her daughter's party.
Then, when I got to the playground (late and flustered) I realised that all three of these other girls were at an after school club, thus necessitating me to wait in the playground for an hour with my own non-club children...blah blah blah.
That's when I lost it and did the swearing thing.
In the end I got to take my kids home on time and the others are being dropped off by someone's driver later.
The icing on the cake was meeting the owner of the car I pranged in the playground last week with a bill for ten thousand rupees for the damage on the way out.
Oh, and the sprinkles on the icing were on the way home, when the military policeman told me that the Prime Minister is visiting the road behind our house this afternoon. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get the car past all the security and onto the birthday party.
I thought I was in quite a good mood today, but it transpires that I'm in quite possibly the worst mood I have ever been in.
I would have a sneaky glass of Sauvignon under other conditions, but this is probably not a good idea when I have to drive through an armed police road block with a bunch of five-year-olds in the back later on...
....and breathe....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you Ms Waif - I hope you gave the lazy mums an earfull... ps who are they??? Next time just call and ask for help or pop round and have a G&T with me!

Amy Waif said...

I'm not sure if you know who the lazy mum is...however, I think she knows who she is...anyway, I'm fully over my hormonal rant now!